Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sabbatical

Sabbatical.  It's root word is from both Greek and Hebrew forms of "sabbath."  A ceasing.  Well, we have not ceased.  Dan is writing music and I am teaching online and shadowing speech therapists.  The kids are wonderfully engaged in lessons, scouts, homework, etc.  Life is busy, still.  But I will be forever grateful for a chance to interrupt normality in favor of a few months of...

Cozy displacement.  We are living in Utah for six months, staying with my parents.  They met our exhausted, red-eyed family at the airport with coats for everyone, and the stockings were already hung.  Merry Christmas, freezing family!  Thanks, Mom.  And Dad.  We are home-sick for Hawaii, but feeling "home" here, too.
 

New backdrop.  Honestly, I like winter as scenery, but when I have to encounter it with more than my visual senses, I am, according to Sam, "a snow wussy."  I think Dan whispered that to Sam, and then Sam just said it out loud. So who is the wussy? But even the snow wussy has gone along for sledding, skiing, and shoveling snow.














Family family family family family family.  Truly, I think we are more beloved when we are far away.  As a daily reality, we lose our charm.  That has been my assertion all along.  We shall see if it is true.  In the mean time, before our charm runs out, we are soaking up cousin time, grandparent time (my mother-in-law is even teaching our kids piano lessons!), sister, brother, aunt, uncle, and did I mention cousin time?











Contrast.   Mountains or beach?  Both.  That is the answer.  And a little red rock thrown in.




More to come...

1 comment:

Erin said...

when we went sledding this winter, I remembered that the first time Lydia went sledding was with Jane. You guys know how to have fun wherever you are! Wish we could see you somehow!