Friday, March 1, 2013

Good day, Bad day

Yesterday, Sam blew the fluff off a dandelion and wished for a good day.  He came home from school, telling me, "I think it worked."  He got to go first in line to lunch,  he got 100% on a quiz, he finished his Wolf Badge, and his friend Micah was coming over. Good.  Sam deserves a great day. After Micah left, Sam came in, troubled, and said that it probably wasn't a good day after all.  Jane was pushing him off his ripstik, and Colin was  being mean, too.  I feel so sad for him to see his wishful day tarnished.  He still wears bifocals for his lazy eye, but sometimes I think those glasses have trained his brain so that his emotional world is dichotomous as well.  It's either a good day, with his eyes up or a bad day, with extreme focus on the negative.  I tried to explain that days have good and bad percentages, but I know for him that the moment he is in is the whole day.  This is not a rant on Sam, because I know someone else who can find the bad in a good day.  Very well.  Me.  But I want to remind myself that days have good and bad percentages and the moment I am in is not the whole day.  So many sad things happen to people, so many bad days come and go.  I say, fine.  But let me rejoice in the seeds of the dandelion that blow into the air many possibilities of good percentages.  I just need to keep my eyes up.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I am reading a book right now called "Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking". I have one child who really focuses on the one negative thing in the day and doesn't remember any of the good things. I haven't gotten very far but your paragraph could come straight out of the book. Love it.

Kris Tina said...

I love this post. Love it. I need to also remember that one bad thing does not make life a bad life. I have a friend that doesn't just see the glass half full - she sees it overflowing with possibilities of awesomeness. I aspire to that - but then my realistic nature kicks in and thinks - "if the glass is overflowing - someone has to clean it up"