I finished making tacos for dinner the other night, and I called everyone to come down from their various worlds of play upstairs. Not a sound. I called again. Nothing. But out of the silence, Sam in the living room said, "Is it just me and you, Mom?" And I said, "Maybe so. Want to eat together before everyone else finally comes down?" So that was the plan. And I threw in some candles and goblets, just to spruce up our "date."
But then everyone came down and crashed our party, and that sent Sam in utter frustration to his room. I understand. There is nothing worse than a cancelled date (note to Sam's future spouse). So I hurried everyone through their tacos, told them they didn't have to help with dishes, and ushered them out the door. I brought Sam down (he made a remarkable turnaround) and we lit the candles. I don't know. Ground beef and candles don't go together well, but we clinked our goblets and said, "Cheers." And then he told me this didn't really count as a date because it wasn't going to McDonalds. But I disagree. I'll remember our candlelight tacos much more than any trip to McDonald's.
No comments:
Post a Comment