Our house is under the shade of a beautiful mango tree whose fruit is sweet, tart, sticky, juicy . . . a perfect match for this season of our lives.
Saturday, July 30, 2011
Ever indebted
Our first Laie neighbors were the Whettens, and they were always doing things for us. I've had Susan on my doorstep with chocolate cake, Judd helping to insect-proof our house, and "Uncle" Judd lifting our kids up to his 6"7' height and swinging them back down. They shared mangoes, they shared their generator when the power was out for five days, they set us up with an EZ-korner for ward camp, and Judd comes every year and sprays our mango tree with some fertility nitrate so it will grow the best mangoes in the world . . . we are ever indebted to them. We have tried to return friendship, but every time we do, they come back to us with generous pay-backs. We never seem to get ahead. Case in point: I leant them some toys, because we were leaving for the summer and all their grandkids were coming. They returned the toys today, PLUS . . . some coupons they had left over, extra batteries, a new set of play doh, some kid computer games, AND Indian fry bread. Forever indebted. I know that's absolutely the wrong way to think about it, because we're just friends and there is no real tallying going on. At least on their part. I admit with a smile that I am going to have to be creative and figure out a really good way to get back at them for this!!! Yeah right. We are ever indebted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment