Monday, July 25, 2011

Arches in June


The one thing I knew I wanted to do in Utah no matter what was to go to Arches with my kids. I love that place. It's like walking on a red moon. So we packed our camping supplies, even though it was late June, and no one in their right mind goes to Arches in late June. So I was worried about 100 degree weather and hot, miserable children, with melted Hershey bars and no one in the mood for s'mores. Let me just say that Arches was full of surprises. We got . . .

One mini micro-burst that almost picked up our kids, who were standing in the partially air-born tent and remembering the
Wizard of Oz.
Two broken tent poles. Luckily, the grocery store in Moab carries extra tent poles!
Three tries at setting up camp (the second time was in a huge, thundering downpour).
Four decisions to stay at a hotel.
Five decisions to go ahead and camp.
Six hungry Bradshaws eating dinner at 10 p.m. when the tent was finally fixed and up.
Seven a.m. wake up for hiking.
Eight Carrie Underwood songs that the kids rocked out to in Margaret's truck.
Nine cousins screaming down the trail as a random hail storm passed over and pelted our bare arms with stinging hail stones. Ouch ouch ouch!
Ten beautiful arches. At least ten! We all made it in to Delicate Arch, and it really is a spectacular place. I think our group may have ruined the reverent spirit the other hikers maintained before we got there. I was shouting at Colin not to run off a cliff. Needless to say, we didn't stay there long. But we went. One dream realized!



Margaret is so buff! She hiked up this super-steep hill with a hefty, happy Zac on her back.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Margaret is becoming so hard core! I can't believe she carried Zac all the way...and she doesn't even hike. I'm really sad we missed this one. (And I know Justin was hoping to try some new hiking cheerleader moves with Margaret.)