Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sleep talking

Right before I fall completely asleep, the language center of my brain tries to assert itself into conversations, even though the reasoning part of my brain has tucked itself under the covers and gone to bed. My family teases me about a time when I had fallen asleep watching a movie, but all of the sudden, I sat up and asked urgently, "Is there a skateboard in the house?!" A lot of times, I fall asleep putting my kids to bed. One time, when Jane had outlasted me again, she and Dan were asking if I was awake, and I pulled myself out of it enough to say, "I was just having a wonderful dream about Jane finishing her education." The other night, as I was really already gone, I turned to Dan and asked, "How are the Robertsons doing?" They are a family in my ward that I love, but I usually don't have them weighing heavily on my mind as I'm drifting off, and I don't normally ask Dan how they are doing (though they should know that I truly CARE). Thank goodness I don't walk in my sleep. I'd probably end up on the Robertson's front porch. I think Colin takes after me. He wakes up to go to the bathroom, but he isn't really awake (as the evidence undoubtedly shows later). My mom still has the best story ever. She one time woke up right in the middle of her first bite of a Lynn Wilson burrito. She had gotten up, microwaved it, and sat down to eat before she woke up. But then, who does't dream of Lynn Wilson burritos every now and then?

4 comments:

Heather and Dave said...

Haha, I loved reading this. How hilarious :) You say such cute things when you sleep talk! Megan would always say weird/scary things - like "Why is there lambs blood everywhere?? What's going on?" in a really scary tone when I came into our room at night, haha!

Erin said...

I need to try those burritos!!

Stephanie said...

This is weird because I DREAM ABOUT YOU ENDING UP ON OUR FRONT PORCH NIGHTLY! heh heh This sure is a tasty little insight into your life that I didn't know before. I walk, talk and do all manner of embarrassing things in my sleep. We'd be an entertaining pair at a sleepover, or better yet, ward camp! Too bad you guys will probably be gone for that! Oh well, next year.

Cortney G. Huber said...

This is a fabulous post. I really wish we could have a sleepover on my new, astroturf-covered sunporch. I'd bring the red vines, you could bring the semi-conscious monologues! Think of the potential.