Has anyone ever asked you if you could spend a few hours and write a humorous, 20-minute children's musical theater production of C.S. Lewis' V
oyage of the Dawn Treader? And could it somehow include 80 kids, and have clever references to traditional musical theater and pop culture through the ages? And it needs to be created, rehearsed, and performed in five days over Fall Break. It just all sounds so random when you put it together like that. Did we succeed? Well, since none of you were there to see it, I will go ahead and say "yes." Those who were there might question how clever it was. And they might even question the wisdom of turning one of the Narnia chronicles into a musical. But the thing I love about this project is that it's not about perfection on any level--it's about the process. My neighbor and I did the script, my other friend did the music, and another friend did the scenery, and a true friend and saint did the costumes. The kids auditioned, painted scenery, learned songs and dances for two hours every morning, and then by Friday, they did the play. I also love kids of different cultures and ages working together to create something for the community.
Sam and Jane and Colin were all involved in the play. Well, Sam WAS involved, but he decided early on that he didn't really want to be the dragon, and he remained resolute in that decision, not regretting his decision in the slightest, even when he saw the dragon dancing and dying on the stage blocks. Jane was a beautiful "star girl," lip-synching Madonna's "Star light, star bright . . . " song. Colin was a sea person, and his job was to fight the sea monster. But before he did, he got a moment or two to flex his muscles on stage, and believe me when I say that he flexed for all he was worth.

Mermaids. I just love their costumes. Hooray for the ladies who sat in the back like four Betsy Rosses, sewing mermaid outfits.
Colin flexing. This lasted for 30 seconds and several poses (to the tune of "Wipe out").

Killing the sea monster.

The dragon that Sam didn't want to be.

Jane makes a good Madonna back-up singer. She looks great with the '80's high side ponytail.
3 comments:
This is impressive on about 15 levels. Nice job! Did somebody record this for YouTube?
Oh, Stop already! You've got to quit being so ambitious or I might get a complex? can I score a trip to Hawaii if I promise to help with costumes next year? :)
This really is amazing! I can't imagine all the work involved in getting 80 kids to do anything organized!
Post a Comment