Our house is under the shade of a beautiful mango tree whose fruit is sweet, tart, sticky, juicy . . . a perfect match for this season of our lives.
Monday, August 5, 2013
Scared of School
Charlie is scared of school. If I even mention something about Kindergarten, how we should get new crayons or how he can sound out words and is all ready to go, he quickly builds into a crying anxiety. He insists that he is too scared, and he can't go. Tears. This started months ago. So I made this ill-labeled graph with him last night, and the other kids joined in. Here is what you need to know. Charlie (X's on the graph), gave himself a 5 for being sad about school, 5 for excited about school, 5 for curious to learn, and 5 for scared of school. Those are big emotions. He changed his "scared of school" to 4.5, after Colin and Sam gave their answers. Colin said he was only "1" scared of school. To that, Sam said he was "0" scared of school. To my surprise, Jane was up at a 5. Junior high looming before her puts her in the same boat with Kindergarten Charlie. New school. New people. So many unknowns. My point was to show Charlie that there is more than ONE BAR! He only pays attention to the fear. But his excitement is a "5," too. And I hope he finds his faith bar, to get him through. I have peeled other children out of the car on the first day of school, so I am prepared.
What about me? Hmmmm. If I were to chart my own graph, it would be schizophrenic. I am 5 sad and 5 excited that everyone, even my baby, is heading off to school. I am 5 excited for learning and, well, 3 scared of what hurts my kids may feel this year. I find myself un-graphable, but hoping for happy fives on the "I did it!" bar at the end of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That graph is a smart idea! We had the same drama at our house this week--1 starting high school, 1 starting middle school, 1 at a new elementary! We must talk and compare notes!!!
You are awesome. I can't wait to see you sometime soon.
I have to admit feeling a bit envious of Charlie. How nice to simply bolt when you don't like where you are or what you face. I think Charlie may be right. Maybe we should just let him run as far and free as he can. Life has a way of reclaiming its wayward, headstrong children. But to have run unapprehended for even a few moments is a victory of sorts. Run, Charlie, run
.
I'm so pleased that you graphed this. See! Normal people use math in their daily lives! Also, Colton told me today that he would NOT go to Kindergarten. We're a year out, and he's already putting up a fight. Heaven help me!
Love this. Great teaching tool for your children. I hope everyone is over their fears. Mimi was so excited and loving kindergarten until the other night when she broke down in tears because they have to write and sound out words now. so sad.
This is so great. I am glad we are friends.
Post a Comment