Our house is under the shade of a beautiful mango tree whose fruit is sweet, tart, sticky, juicy . . . a perfect match for this season of our lives.
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Orphans
My kids fight about everything lately. Ironically, I have had a week off from teaching and so I've been able to give them more attention. I really wonder sometimes if that is what they need. So I hadn't heard any fighting for a while, and I went to check on them. There they were, all four of them, playing nicely together, each one dressed up in various star wars or cowboy costume snatches. So I asked what they were playing. "Orphans." Charlie had a bag of cereal. I asked him where he got food if he had no parents. "From the trash cans," Jane answered. Seeing no need for further interference, I went downstairs, to hear someone call down the hallway, "Goodbye, kind madam." I think they might appreciate me more as a kindly neighbor than as a mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nothing brings unity to children like the absence of their parents...I think we played best when we were on the swingset in the backyard pretending we'd accidentally blasted off in our father's rocket without him. Two poor children alone on a rocket. How can you fight in that situation?
We used to play boxcar children all the time!
Post a Comment