Colin had an Angry Birds party and invited 14 friends. We haggled over the number of invitations, but in the end, I felt like my gift to Colin was not making him cut the list TOO much. In my mind, the fun games and clever twists on Angry Birds would keep the mayhem at a minimum. I think I had looked at too many birthday blogs to get ideas.
The reality was not a picture-perfect bloggable birthday party. Oh no. With the 14 friends (no one couldn't come), plus the three extra neighbors, it was wild. When that many 5-year-olds are in a room, they are no longer human beings, but piles of wrestling limbs. We split them into groups, we had different stations, my neighbor came over to help, we let them get out their wiggles by knocking down towers of boxes with a ball and launching water balloons 50 ft. across the field . . . and still, it was chaos.
One thing this made me realize is that as I planned the party, I was hoping for cute pictures and great ideas to share with others. I was living in a virtual birthday world as I planned it all out. My purpose in all of this was not to blog about it, but I definitely had blog pictures in my brain. Hmmmm. For me, that is wrong, and I am glad the Angry Birds brought me back to reality. I think everyone had a great time. Colin had a great time. He took extra treats for himself, and when his friends asked why HE got the extras, he said, "What? I'm the birthday boy." So he had his moment (and those moments are few and far between for Bradshaw #3). But next time, I will not plan the pictures or even look at others' virtual parties, where there are no pictures of children trying to wriggle out from the bottom of the stack.
And whoever said one-friend-for-every-year-they-are-old . . . that is definitely bloggable advice!
P.S. The cupcakes were bloggable. 100% Jane's doing. Thank goodness she adds a touch of artistry to our lives!

6 comments:
those cupcakes are beautiful! Great job. You are a brave mom to invite that many kids over.
The party was a hit, and I should have been "Megan behind the scenes" capturing the fun on film, but I was busy trying to get my kids to join the party, rather than play with all of your cool toys.
We loved it all. Mostly we just love being with you.
hahaha this is fantastic! And when I tried to typed fantastic right now, my fingers HONESTLY first typed "fartastic" and I think you should tell Collin that as my gift to him. He's the perfect age. And the party idea alone is bloggable because now I am thinking- OH MY AMBROSE WOULD LOVE THAT! haha And so I shall hire Jane to do the cupcakes and Collin to set up the boxes and Sam to man the water balloons. Yep, see ya March 19th for the party!
It sounds like an amazing party! You can't define the worth of a party based on the type of bloggable pictures. That would be like saying the only talents worth having are the ones good for competing in Miss America. Some things show well, others don't. And I'm so impressed with Jane's cupcakes!
Ambition. That should be your middle name. From school productions to overpopulated birthday parties, you are not afraid of the challenge. (Or the chaos). I love the image suggested by "piles of wrestling limbs." Who needs calm, well-ordered birthday parties? What I love about you is that you keep letting the important things be the important things. You remain one of my mom-heroes. And since Calvin just offered me money to help him make his bed, does that make me one of yours?
Tell Jane we will have a bake-off when next she comes. I think I could learn a lot from that girl!
(Lame! Every time I try to comment it deletes itself mysteriously. So if this ends up as a badly-replicated double post, you'll know why [I didn't even have a chance to make a copy for my files]).
Ambition. That should be your middle name. Whether it be school productions or overpopulated birthday parties, you are not afraid of the challenge. (Or the chaos). I love the image suggested by "piles of wrestling limbs." And even though the experience may not have gone as planned, what I love about you is that you always let the important things be the important things. It's one among many reasons (true to form, I'm cataloging them) you remain one of my mom-heroes. And since Calvin just offered me money to help him make his bed, does that make me one of yours?
Jane's baking skillz continue to impress! Tell her we'll have a bake-off when next she comes. I have a feeling she has much to teach me. Love you all!
Post a Comment