Saturday, September 3, 2011

Has anyone seen my shoe?

I left one shoe somewhere in Utah.  Last seen in Southern Utah. I am surprised someone hasn't sent it to me, because what good is one shoe going to do someone else?  Not that any of our family members would keep our leftover belongings, and not that I write my address in my shoe so someone could return it.  I just really wonder where my one shoe is.  Out there in the void.

Charlie loses one shoe all the time.  But he's the kind of kid that will be running along and then randomly stop and take off one shoe (probably with a rock in it) and then start running again, leaving the offending rock AND SHOE behind.  His little hobbit feet are so tough, it doesn't even matter to him.  He could totally handle Mordor barefoot. But I usually keep both my shoes on.  But then yesterday, I stopped off at the Addidas store, and wouldn't you know . . . they're having a sale and I got NEW SHOES!  Nothing feels better than new shoes.  So I am itching to go for a run today.

I wish I could call my friend Stephanie to run with me, but ever since "the accident," I am minus one good jogging partner.  Here is a picture of her leg after her run-in with the treacherous terrain on the bike path.


I felt some responsibility.  Because first I made her run with vomit in her mouth, and then I made her run with a bloody knee.  That bloody knee was concealing the pain of what turned into a sprained ankle.  She had to go to a mean doctor who wouldn't give her crutches.  She even had to ask, "Are crutches scarce?"  It stinks when you have to ask a question like that . . . when all you need is the one thing the doctor is too stingy to give you, even though there is no scarcity of crutches in Hawaii.  Butterscotch chips, on the other hand, ARE scarce in Hawaii, I've found out, but that is beside the point.

So this post stands as a tribute to my one lost shoe (mahalo for many good runs), for NEW SHOES, and for hard-core running friends.  And now I want to go for a run!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

hahahahahaha! I am ready for another run! Dash it all the mean doctor was right. I guess I didn't need crutches afte-rall, but come on! Why not just hand them out like candy? At least we have this picture to remember the good times. See you Wednesday for another one?

Allie said...

Losing shoes must run in the family. I can remember your Dad losing one (or perhaps an entire pair) of shoes during one of his trips to DC years and years ago. My guess is that his shoes are much harder to replace at a moments notice.