Sunday, May 15, 2011

May Day

I don't know how to describe May Day, other than to say you would think my kids go to a school that specializes in cultural pageantry. There aren't many schools like that out there, eh? May Day is a big deal, and though I was not always a fan, I am now. Each class performs three or four songs based on a certain country, and they spend all kinds of time at school learning dances. Moms spend all kinds of time sewing costumes (not me, sorry to say . . . though I did one time braid a skirt out of ti leaves for Jane's Tahitian dance). And the end result is an amazing performance with all kinds of culture and color. My favorite moment this year was when the 5th grade's music went out. Instead of falling apart and waiting for the music to get back on, the kids kept it together and just went on with the dance. And without the music, you could see THE KIDS. They were confident, strong, with bright countenances. They were totally unified. No child left behind . . . seriously. They were together. A thousand words couldn't describe why I sat there with a smile on my face, loving those kids. So here are my kids' performances.

Oops. I tacked Sam's on to the end of Jane's. Fast forward through Jane's to watch Sam's on this second one. I'll fix it later (famous last words).

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have yet to partake in the cultural pageantry that is May Day but I have witnessed it a few times and WOW. You described it just right. I'm just bracing myself for my turn... lunging, stretching, oiling up my sewing machine...etc.

Bethany said...

So sad we weren't there for it!