Thursday, January 20, 2011

January

My whole life, January has been a story of cold, wet feet trudging through slosh on the way from one heated building to another. There are times that I miss the seasons here, the snuggling up and the sun on snow and white mountains, but I don't miss the disappointing endlessness of January that you just have to endure. Lately, the contrast of my new life and my old life surprises me every day, like someone jumping out at me as I walk out the door. (That reminds me of another story I may have to tell someday about a person I currently know--who will remain nameless--who likes sneaking up on me. I'll save that for another post. Seven years from now.) Here are some shots from our day at Castle Beach. Forgive the photography. As soon as I master the zoom in and zoom out feature, I might work on focus.






I know this looks like bragging about the cool place I live, but I just want to say Alleluja and Praise Be to God for being creative about January in different places. What's your January like?

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I hate January, and I hate winter. We were just discussing this very topic tonight--would we miss the seasons living somewhere like Hawaii. I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no. I hate winter!

Betty said...

I must confess I feel a lot like Beth. We have some snow now, it's cold and it's going to snow some more by the end of the week. I just love the summer!

Erin said...

Yep, I'm jealous! I still remember when we went sledding with Jane and Lydia by your townhouse. Snow has it's fun moments, but I could definitely live without it.

Brooke said...

Oh Bethany, you say you wouldn't miss the seasons, I naively said the same thing once. Living in Austin has changed my tune. I do love warm weather but it's hard to feel festive at Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas when you can attend all parties in shorts and flip-flops. Cold months make you appreciate the warm months.

Emily, it's warmish here in Austin, but I'm not ready to don a swimming suit anytime soon!

Flori said...

Striking contrast, indeed. I took a hibernation nap on this 40 degree, rainy Janurary afternoon.