
We have never lived so close to an LDS temple before. It is 100 steps from our house to the temple. We just walk back by this huge banyan tree by the side gate, and we're there. But for the past two years it has been closed for renovation--doors closed, lights out. As close neighbors, we have heard the demoliton, drills, and jackhammers. Now, all is quiet. It feels like a quiet sigh of relief, after a brutal reconfiguration. Our family got to go through the temple (along with my tall nephew, Peter, and nice neice, Emily) during the public Open House. We saw the beautiful renovations, new windows for greater illumination, and brightened murals. I think the saints who built the 1919 temple here, making cement from black lava rock, would be seriously touched by the beauty of the temple. But what I want my kids to take away is that it is a humble house . . . apart from the world . . . where God is close . . . and they can feel peace. It is so much more than a beautiful building. It is all about families being sealed together forever. I FEEL sealed to my family, because of the promises we've made in the temple and are striving to keep. Yesterday, we went to the re-dedication, and I just felt so grateful that this holy place that became a construction site, is now a holy place again.
3 comments:
That is so neat that you will finally be able to go to the temple that is so close to you!
Wow--your nephew really is tall!! I love this post and feel jealous you get to be so close. It is wonderful to take your family to the temple and to know you can be together always.
PS--we spent Thanksgiving in B-ton and drove through Winslow Ridge, blowing kisses to all the homes and people we loved there.
Yes! I've thought of you as I've read the news of the rededication. They never mentioned anything about the banyan, however, which is an important detail. I am such a sucker for a good banyan tree. I'm so glad for you! And I loved this post. Black lava rock--it's so amazing the effort and sacrifice that has gone into these wonderful buildings.
Post a Comment