Our house is under the shade of a beautiful mango tree whose fruit is sweet, tart, sticky, juicy . . . a perfect match for this season of our lives.
Sunday, November 18, 2012
Unbirthday exchange
I had a random exchange with Charlie. After "jobs" on Saturday, I told Charlie we could make treats. As there was a slight nip in the air, bringing the temperature down to an autumnal 72 degrees, I felt like warm cinnamon rolls. But that suggestion made Charlie cry. It would take too long, and he can only eat half of one. As he is ever a devoted fan of cupcakes (at least the top half), he begged for those. I decided this was not the time to hold my position too fiercely...and cupcakes didn't sound half bad. So we made the cupcakes and when it was time to eat them, he asked for candles. We pulled down sprinkles and birthday candles and I explained (partially in song) the idea of unbirthdays. So he blew out his candles and made a wish. I asked him what he wished for. At first he wouldn't tell me, but I insisted that it was ok to tell with UNbirthday wishes. "You will be SOOO surprised," he said. "I wished...that we could go...to AMERICA!" I smiled and told him that his wish had come true, since we are already in America. "No. The other America. The one with cheetahs in it." Oh. Africa. "YESSSS! But they don't have goodnight savings there." Hmmmm. I asked what he meant by goodnight savings. "That's when you have to go to bed early...but they don't have that in Hawaii, right, Mom?" I got it. He somehow picked up on a daylight savings conversation. But I think Charlie's theory of goodnight savings is also applicable, especially in light of our current two-hour bedtime routine. We don't do goodnight savings here. Ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment