Friday, May 6, 2011

Highs and lows

People usually talk about highs and lows as alternate time periods in life, but in the last few weeks, I have felt that highs and lows sit shoulder to shoulder, or even on laps. As close as an inhale and an exhale. People have asked me if it was good to have my family in town right after I learned our baby had died. YES! We had so much fun. More than anything, it showed from the very beginning that I could still be happy, laugh, sit, talk, and do all the normal things. Tears mixed in well with salt water at Hanauma Bay and got blown off my face by the tradewinds at Maleakahana. It was also great to soak in THEIR lives, as we were drenched in ours. I didn't document the lows with pictures, and I hereby forbid anyone from posting a picture of me crying, because as Dan says, I "look like a very devil." Thankfully, the lows get less and less frequent as time goes on.

Here are the highs!

This is a two-part picture. Here's the BEFORE, with Colin playfully splashing Colton at Shark's Cove.

Here's the AFTER.


Michael and Julie--chilling on the beach at Shark's Cove


Jane and Parker jumped in the water beneath the water fall at Waimea Falls.


Bethany and Justin and Colton at Waimea.



Justin took Sam on a shark tour. The two of them went out on a boat and jumped in a cage to watch the sharks swimming inches away from them. I'm just grateful they both came back alive. Justin is the coolest uncle ever.

Sam and Parker swimming in tide pools at Shark's Cove.


Spencer. He proves that you can always smile . . . even through a snorkel.


I missed this. I'm sure there is a story behind it, but what you see is what you get.


I like this one, because it makes it look like Dan wore his dress socks to the beach. It's his dive boots, and he's coming back from taking one of the kids out to snorkel.


Jand and Colin and I took pictures behind the temple by the banyan tree.


Michael, Spencer, Parker, and Henry. We love the Durhams!


This was after a swim in the falls.


We made it to the annual Easter Egg Hunt at Gunstock Ranch. Luckily, everyone got at least a few eggs. And a pony ride.


Charlie. No fear.


The backyard swimming pool was as good as the beach for Charlie and Colton (and Dan).


Colton, Sam, and Colin snuggling on the remnant blankets from our campout. I ended up bailing on the campout to have surgery. Thanks to Julie and everyone for cleaning up!


It's great to have a sister around.


. . . and a cousin! I love having Megan (with Abby) on the island.

3 comments:

megan&steve said...

Highs and lows around here too. Just for the record I didn't see you cry, and if you did it was behind those stylin sunglasses that you wore. We love you tons, but you already knew that.

Nancy said...

I should tell you, I now read your blog regularly, thanks to Megan for adding your link. So sorry about all that you've been going through. Its hard and I'm sorry and I love you. We had a mango tree when we lived in Miami. I still always smell them at the store and have good memories. I'm coming with Caroline early June :)hope to see you then!

Nancy said...

ps-- I just saw your list of favorite books, we have very similar taste, so now I know who to ask for new books!