I want to hire the 4th grade teachers at Laie Elementary School as my personal travel agents. We would be taking much more efficient, educational trips if they took over. Jane and I spent four days on the Big Island of Hawaii last week, hiking the old lava flows, walking out to Rainbow Falls, visiting every museum, planetarium, and energy farm that the Big Island has to offer, I think, and even stopping off at a few chocolate and candy factories. I must say, I was a little alarmed to watch the lady in the macademia nut factory sifting carefully through each and every nut without gloves on. "That's where the extra flavor comes from," was one dad's comment.
The best thing was just being with Jane. She won't always want to hold my hand as we walk places together all her life, but she did on this trip. We were bus-buddies, hike-buddies, bunk-buddies. And fourth grade is a great age, because the kids still like being with adults. In fact, one night, one of the teachers told all the girls to come and play a game, and it turned out that the game was giving foot rubs to all the chaperones. One of the girls was really strong--stronger than I am, for sure--and she decided I need my arms stretched. I think I was about an inch away from the emergency room as my right arm extended behind my back and across to the right side of my body.
The other moment of excitement was when a sherriff-like ranger, who I'm pretty sure was packing a weapon (though a volcano doesn't seem like a high-risk environment) came out and said, "Is there an Emily Bradshaw out here? Follow me, ma'am." So I went, wondering what offense I might have unknowingly committed. As it turned out, I just left my backpack unzipped and my wallet had fallen out and someone returned it. He had me feeling like I was being hauled in for grand larceny. And when I went back outside, I could see the looks on all the kids' faces. Shoplifter. That's what they were thinking. I declared my innocence loudly, but I think there are those that will still whisper as I walk by.
Wish I had some pictures to show, but alas, Jane found her camera under her bed when we got home. Imagine the end of the world with black rock and steam vents here and there. And then imagine Jane running happily over it like a little gazelle. And then just imagine a bus. That largely covers it.
3 comments:
That field trip sounds AMAZING! I can not believe they have 4 day field trips and that you got to be a chaperone. I am sure Jane will always remember that special time with you. I would have freaked out about the ranger!
Your blog is my all-time favorite. I want to be a mom like you. When can we start mom lessons? Thanks.
I want to go on this fieldtrip too- amazing!!
Hey Emily! Your visual descriptions work better than pictures of the trip.
Checkout my blog for links to our cousins blogs too.
Post a Comment