Friday, March 4, 2011

Start spreading the news!

We told our kids some exciting news the other night at dinner. We are going to have another baby in our family. Hooray! My kids' reactions were a little random and various.

Jane was really excited, and said, "Wow, Mom. I hope you know I am going to be obsessed about this for a while." And then she has barely said a thing about it since. Obsession? That girl could take some lessons on obsession from her mother. Obsessed in when you can't stop reading a book, even when the laundry has aged in the washing machine and had to be re-washed three times. Obsessed is when all your various emotions are directed at one thought and a million reactions to that thought. Obsessed is when you tell everyone you know about it or at least mention it in passing a few times a day. Jane is very calmly obsessed. I know she wants a girl, but I keep telling her after three boys in a row, I'm planning on another boy. "Can I at least be the first to hold it, if it's a boy." A small concession to grant.

Colin didn't say a word. He just ate his dinner as fast as he could, threw his plate up on the counter, wiping his mouth on his arm as he ran out the door shouting, "Guess what everyone!" So all the kids in the neighborhood are telling their moms the news, and their moms are talking to me with one eye on my belly, wondering if the rumor is true.

Sam acts like he's putting the pieces together and solving the mystery. He'll come up to me when I'm zonked on the couch and say, "Are you lying there because you're tired because you're having a baby? . . . I knew it!"

Charlie is confused. He asks me every day if I still have a baby in my tummy. And he just doesn't understand why I won't let anyone see it. "Can I see?" he says, lifting up my shirt. He told his little friend, Annika, that I had a baby in my tummy, and she looked at me very somberly and said, "You shouldn't eat babies."

Anyone else out there had funny reactions to baby news?

So I am just shy of being 12 weeks along, and so far, I am exhausted, but full of gratitude and hope. And I am preparing myself to drop off the face of the world in September.

9 comments:

alli said...

Whoo hoo!! Congratulations Emily and family!! We are so excited for you!!

Bobbie said...

Hooray! I'm so happy for you, Emily. I'm also happy to be reconnected to your blog. I only had the address bookmarked on my old computer. It would have been even easier to find if your email gave the address as .blogspot instead of @blogspot, but I found you. I'll be hoping for a girl. Do you want to consult on names?

Unknown said...

Aside from being overjoyed at your wonderful news, I find myself curious about all these lessons in obsession you could give to Jane. I consider you one of the better-balanced people in my life. Perhaps I need to recalibrate. This sounds like good truth-or-dare material--meet me in Martha's basement. I'm betting on girl. Either way, I can't wait!!!!

Unknown said...

So exciting! I almost picked up the phone but realized it would be 4 am your time! This is absolutely wonderful news. I couldn't be more happy! You're that wonderful!

I'll take a boy or girl durham-bradshaw any day!

Bethany said...

What will Jane get if you have the baby on her birthday? She should get to hold him first and choose his name. That's what I say. (Unless it's a girl. Then she should just be happy to finally have a sister.)

Erin said...

I am so happy for your family! I loved reading each of the kids' reactions. How funny and precious they are. Just the other day Ethan said he remembers when I told him we were having another baby (mimi) and how excited he was and wishes that it would happen again. He loves the babies the most. If I could guarantee a brother for him I just might consider it. Boy or girl, the world will be better off having another beautiful, brilliant Bradshaw in it!

Flori said...

Yay, happy news. That is so exciting!! I laughed at your other post though because we just introduced the kids to "Rudy" this weekend (cause we couldn't get Secretariat at Redbox!) and I love that movie. Can we still be friends?:)

Kris Tina said...

Oh goodness - I'm so behind on my knitted baby gifts as it is! But yay yay yay. Of course, I kind of would like Jane to have a sister but you have such cute boys that I think it will be great either way.

Louise Durham said...

There might be something genetic about hating Rudy, also about being obsessive. I can't be sure, but there's a chance. See you in September.

P.S. I'm sending you a copy of Seabiscuit. If you hate that too, I'll know its genetic.