We were all getting down in our living room to our jazziest Christmas mix when "Feliz Navidad" came on. I think it was on our third repeat of the song that Dan and I realized the kids were all singing different words to the song.
Jane . . . "Feliz Navidad." She's always absolutely correct in her lyrics. She is the gold standard for knowing the right words. (I am the dirt clod standard for always getting them wrong. I guess the boys take after me!)
Sam . . . "Release Mommy Dad." Such a happy tune for a song of spousal abduction.
Colin . . . "At least Mommy bought." There's the true spirit of Christmas.
Charlie . . . "A niece naughty dot." There's a reason the word "naughty" jumped out at him.
Who knew that a catchy tune and a cha-cha beat could hold so many levels of meaning.
8 comments:
Oh I love a rousing feliz navidad rendition. And I owe you a Mahalo thank you note. And a blog comment doesn't count as one.
Your blog is my favorite!
I thought it was "prospero onion" for a really long time...like after college.
I think that's the translation, Beth, if not the real words.
Lizzy just sang this song in her preschool program today and she always sings "at least nabidad" and Lydia likes to sing "at least snobby dog".
That totally makes me laugh. I am the lyric police in our family, and it is so funny what people will sing.
Emily, your kids are so funny!! I love them. I love Sam for being so fiscally-conscious and I love Colin for being so full of mischief and mirth and I love Charlie for his pure delightfulness and Jane for her lyrical accuracy (it's so important to know the right words!). And I love you for writing it all down so amusingly and well. Thanks for letting me read. And remind me to tell you a funny story I found about you, me, and Camille involving traffic laws. I am still chuckling.
Post a Comment