Monday, May 10, 2010

Spiritual Gifts

Colin's primary teacher came up to Dan after church yesterday, laughing. Colin's teachers are a young couple, the Iafetas, who are amazing polynesian dancers. Anyway, they were teaching the kids about the commandments. They asked, "What are some of the commandments?" The other kids said, "Be good." "Pray." Colin jumped right in with, "Don't commit adultery!" A shining star in the four-year-old class.

He was also a stand-out in the Mother's Day song the kids sang. They all went up to the front, and Colin was right in the middle. As everyone was getting settled, I watched as Colin repeatedly flicked our little neighbor, Monte. Monte was very paitient, but if he hadn't retaliated, I think I would have marched up there to make Colin cut it out. Just a little skirmishing to begin the tribute to mothers. Anyway, since "thou shalt not commit adultery is covered," I think we will be having more lessons on "don't flick your neighbor."

Last of all, Colin gave the talk in Primary yesterday. As I was helping him, I was tempted to whisper lots of wonderful things about his mother in his ear, in honor of Mother's Day, but I thought it might seem a little contrived. And he really wanted to tell the story of the blind man who got healed by Christ when Christ mixed dirt and spit and put it on the blind man's eyes. Right before church, we went out to the back yard, and Colin filled a jar with dirt. Then he instructed me exactly how much water to put in, so it would look like spit. And his favorite part of the talk was holding up the jar of mud. My favorite part was talking about how it wasn't the mud, it wasn't the spit, but it was Christ that saved the man, as well as his faith. I think Colin got it, too. Obviously, that jar of mud wasn't going to do much. But it was a fun visual aid for Colin, whose favorite daily fashion is dirt mixed with . . . anything.

2 comments:

Kris Tina said...

FYI - I am really proud of you teaching Colin the really important commandments.

Erin said...

Wow he is definitely a shining star! So does he know what adultery is? My kids may have heard that commandment but I don't think I have ever explained it to them.