Tuesday, January 5, 2010

One-year-old Christmas

I failed Charlie this Christmas. His grandparents did great. Both Grandmas got him board books, since our collection has essentially dissolved after being mouthed by three previous toddlers. So I wrapped up the books individually, knowing Charlie would love them, and thinking that for the rest, he'd be content with boxes and wrapping paper anyway, so I didn't need to get anything else. I was wrong. By the fourth book he unwrapped, he was throwing the gift on the ground, and tearfully reaching for Colin's bouncy ball. This is my failure and I admit it. Would it have killed me to buy the kid a $1.99 bouncy ball or a container of bubbles or something? He got a fridge latch from Santa. And the candy he got, he didn't know how to unwrap himself, and so I'm sorry to say it may have been chocolate tinted with that aluminum "garnish" around it. He was a disappointed boy . . . until the unwrapping was over, when he DID love the boxes and wrapping paper, and he has especially loved his books.

1 comment:

pieofthemonth said...

this heartbreaking story reminded me of one year when my sister thought she'd filled her kid's easter baskets with all of the most amazing candies... reese's eggs, dove chocolates, cadbury's mini eggs, huge chocolate rabbits... only to discover her 4 year old son weeping in the corner with his basket. she asked what was wrong and he said (in honest agony) "there's nothing good in here! it's all CHOCOLATE!"
poor kid. is it too much to ask for a bag of jelly beans or a marshmallow peep now and then?

ps. loving the blog, although everytime i see it in my bookmark list I think "Mango Season... DUCK season... mango season... DUCK season... duck season... MANGO season... BOOOM"