
Photo by Ivan Anderson, given to public domain at commons.wikimedia.org/ wiki/File:BYUclarillon.jpg.
More than once, I have been walking away from campus when I heard the bells. Unlike BYU-Provo, our BYU-H has no bell tower, but we still have bells. It's not that we're wanna-be's, but in Hawaii, it probably would take 20 years to get a permit for building a bell-tower, and then the bells would just rust out anyway. So, our resourceful university has a recording of bells coming from somewhere on campus. It sounds like the real thing. It goes off on the hour. It's what lets me know that I've slept in yet again in the morning as I count seven strikes of the, well, "bell." Sometimes our fake bell tower even plays songs. I don't know who is in charge of choosing bell recordings, or who makes bell recordings, for that matter . . . but whoever is in charge is a true romantic. Last night, the kids and I went on a bike ride to pick up Dan from work. As we were playing "colored eggs" (that is a post for another day) in the little circle, a bell song started. It took me a second to recognize the song, but I think it was "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." On the bells. The next song we heard was, "You Light up my Life." Some others we've heard are "A Whole New World," from Aladdin, "If I Loved You," from Carousel, and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Someone is bringing us the softer, gentler side of the Carillon and ringing bells to spur romance. And wouldn't BYU-Hawaii be a great place to fall in love? And wouldn't it be great to have bells playing in the background? Paradise.
2 comments:
The carillon professor here at KU is LDS. She gives concerts every week. I have been to several and never heard the likes of those songs! Sounds fun. She has taken us up in the tower and even let the kids play the carillon. Lydia played chopsticks (she had only had one piano lesson at the time) for all of KU to hear.
I'm glad to know that there's something to keep the flame of your love going...every hour on the hour.
Post a Comment