
The other day, Colin told me to look at his owie. It's the one on his elbow that he first got when he tripped and fell on the cement, and then he keeps getting it re-injured, and Sam tends to grab his arm right on his owie twice a day. Anyway, he told me to look at it. Then he informed me, "That's my brain." When I questioned him about it, he said, "My brain is in there. Some people have their brains in their elbows." I had heard of people's brains being in their stomachs or being too big for their skulls, but this was the first time I'd encountered the elbow theory. And it may be true for Colin. He has the normal brain of a there-year-old, plus some little endearing quirks that might just come from the bending elbow part of his brain.
Colin is full of "eedle deedles" and "oo-loo-loos." He makes up songs all the time that are sung to the tune of the Imperial March from Star Wars. Imagine Darth Vader marching in to these songs: I am go-ing to pre-schoo-loo-lool. I am leaving to day-lay-lay. Mommy, come look at the moo-loo-loon." That kind of remastering can only come from the elbow.
This kid is all about playing with friends. They are up and down the stairs and out to the playground in capes, they have endless discussions about what dares they need to complete in order to come to each others' birthday parties, they have light sabre fights that usually end up in smashed fingers and tears, but their favorite thing to do today was to sneak behind my back and get left-over trick-or-treat candy. They perform all kinds of stealth missions. The only problem is that at some point, little Isaac and Tim want to go home. That's when Colin starts pulling bribes out of that elbow brain. "No, no! Tim! We have apple juice!" I've even come down to find Colin's hefty body forming an imposing "X" in the doorway, blocking his friends from leaving, or he'll pin one of them to the wall, if the apple juice wasn't enough of a draw. Once I heard him tell his friends that if they stayed and went potty, I would give them potty treats. The kid cracks me up on a daily basis, and I love him, even if his brain is in his elbow sometimes.
2 comments:
I'm so happy that you have finally started your blog, and I'm proud to be the first to comment!! I guess that's what I get for being in the earliest time zone. I love it. And I love Collywog. He truly is a joy. A joy in a batman suit, cowboy boots, and a light sabre.
I love reading about Colin. He is definitely a melodious child, full of song and invention. I'm glad to read about him through your creative eyes and words. Keep going (and post a quotation for Sam. I know there are many you could choose.) Maybe if more of us used the brains in our elbows, the world would be a better place.
Post a Comment